What is a Pulmonary Sequestration?

A pulmonary sequestration, also known as a bronchopulmonary sequestration or a cystic lung lesion, is a medical condition where a piece of tissue that develops into lung tissue is not attached to the pulmonary blood supply and does not communicate with the other lung tissue. Often it gets its blood supply from the thoracic aorta. Communication is a medical phrase indicating that it is not connected to the standard bronchial airways and that it performs no function in respiration.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonary_sequestration

Saturday, September 25, 2010

I'm Coming Home

Well, my doctor came in and sat with me and told me that they did a biopsy on the piece they removed and confirmed that I did have a sequestration along with the bronchiactisis. He said he got it all out and that I was good as new. Just need to get through recovery. I am so grateful for people like him and the gift of technology. He just changed the quality of the rest of my life. It was like giving someone a new lung. I told him how grateful I was and how he must have a very rewarding job. He replied with, "Well, I don't get the opportunity to operate on young patients very often" .... lol. So, I guess I was one of the rare cases for him. So, after we chatted he gave me the all clear to go home.

My husband showed up and helped me get my things and head home. It was great to finally go home, but I was also scared about the challenges I would face at home. As I walked in my door it was great to hug my daughter again and just be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment